Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spirals Lariat Necklaces


As I am transferring content from the other website over here, I have decided to rewrite some of it and in this case combine some related posts to create one post showcasing my "Spiral Lariat Necklaces".

The one in photo above, I used only black cord, gray seed beads and purple Czechoslavakian fire-polished crystal round focal beads. I like the dual neutrals with the purple contrast - this is one of my favorite lariats.

This next one has purple cord with cobalt blue facted Czechoslavakian fire-polished crystal round focal beads. Sort of a traditional look with a twist. This one is currently listed at my Etsy Shop. See "Necklaces" section.

This one used up some brown oval glass beads I had in my stash, as well as some other amber and brown glass ones. I think it all worked out pretty nice, and this is another one of my favorite lariats. This one is currently listed at my Etsy Shop. See "Necklaces" section.
This last one deserves the full description:

I used a little subtle asymmetry between the beaded segments in the body of the lariat and the beaded segments heading the tassels. In the body, the segments are comprised of the triangular bead surrounded by the dark teal beads. The tassel head segments are comprised of the triangular bead surrounded by one dark teal bead and one clear bead.

Then, a little asymmetry between the segments in the head of the tassels and the beaded segments at the bottom of the tassels. The tassel head segment has no spacer beads within (only at each end as on all segments). The segments at bottom of tassel does have spacer beads. See tassel on right in photo below.

Then, I began the second tassel fully intending to make it just like the first one. But, I made a mistake and missed one of the spacer beads. I tied it off before finding the mistake. I had pulled that ending knot too tightly to undo. I was now in a quandary. I did not want to lose all the work I put into the lariat! How could I fix this? How could I fix it without being obvious that I was “just fixing” it. Then, because I already had asymmetry on the brain, an idea came to me. Make the second tassel a more intense study of asymmetry! So, I finished off the strands as follows: One strand has no spacers, one has all the spacers, one has the spacer missing between the first two beads, and one has the spacer missing between the last two beads.

I really liked the result, but was afraid I was no longer objective. I asked my husband what he thought. He loved it. The asymmetry is a bit subtle and you don’t notice it right away. You just kind of notice there is something interesting about the necklace. Then, you look closer and…

Necessity is the mother of invention, is it not? I think I may experiment some more with asymmetry!

When it came to naming it, I was thinking something that suggests winter, ice, etc. We tossed out several names until I said “Winter Wonder”, sort of traditional sounding. My husband cinched it when he said that it fits because when you look at the necklace you “wonder” what is so interesting, and then you “wonder” if she did it on purpose!

Here is the finished lariat necklace. I must say this is my very favorite lariat yet...so, if no one buys it, it's mine! Right now it is on consignment at my favorite local coffee shop - Chiro Java in Seguin, Texas.

1 comment:

Knotgypsy said...

Comment transferred with content:

Kss Says: You know.. I wish I could be as creative as you .. able to make such beautiful necklace. I am techie guy... art is a big no no for me. I tried but neh, not getting anywhere. :P

Copyright 2007 Donna Littlewood